Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sudden Thunder




LOOKING BACK ... all the way back to a couple of weeks ago, when I said:


"THIS PAST WEEK it may have appeared that I had, indeed, wandered off ... But I hadn't. I was right here at the keyboard ... endless hours at this infernal keyboard attached to this infernal machine that I don't understand at all ... It was like trying to play the piano ... blindfolded ... and wearing boxing gloves. And I'm beginning to think doing that might be more fun than what I was doing ... and doing ... and doing ... "


-S&G-


IT WAS ALSO like trying to sweep the ocean back with a broom ... a small broom. But I think that’s over. The ocean is still there, of course. I’m still here, too.


Where are my writings for the past several years ... my carefully saved photos? They’re still out there somewhere, and I’m still trying to recover them.


At this point I’m still hopeful that I may be able to recover them ... at least part of them. I’ve recovered some, thank you very much. I hope to recover more.


The lesson in all this: Don’t neglect those backups!


-S&G-


ONCE I GOT my e-mail gadget working again, I found tons of e-mails ... I had forgotten how many forwarded e-mails I receive in a day ... in a week ... in a COUPLE of weeks!
Whoa!


I also found several personal e-mails inquiring abut my health and well being ... and I thank you for those.


One evening, when I thought I had spied a glimmer of hope on the horizon ... I found an e-mail from LOREE (Kansas) ... who correctly suspected that I hadn’t wandered off ... and fallen off the edge of the earth ... but was having computer problems.


She informed me that she had checked ... and checked ... and checked ... for the weekly posting of S&G ... but, of course, didn’t find one.


Her question: Will it now be yearly?


I’m still puzzling over a possible answer to that one ... but I’m leaning toward resuming a regular weekly schedule ... while knocking on wood and keeping my fingers crossed.


-S&G-


TODAY'S QUOTE: "My, how time flies ... when you really, really don’t want it to." - Professor Squigglee


-S&G-


TODAY'S POEM - When my computer stopped working, it seemed so sudden ... Doesn’t it always? ... but I’m sure there had been warning signs, just as the poem hints about the "sudden" thunder ... and the deluge which followed.


The poem didn’t come immediately to mind when disaster struck recently ... believe me, I had a lot of other things on my mind ... but when that little ray of computer hope presented itself to me ... then, oh, then ... I did think about the poem ... and how I had stood there in the rain, admiring a red, red rose that I would not have seen, had the thunder not caused me to turn and look in its direction.


I suppose there’s lesson of some sort in there ... some place ... but I’ll leave that to you.


Meanwhile, the poem:


SUDDEN THUNDER


I was going along,
immersed in thought,
when a nearby
crash of thunder
wheeled me around
and I was looking
down a long driveway
toward a red, red rose
that was leaning
and straightening
beside a dark
gray fence.


For the longest
moment I remained
rooted, letting
the rain trickle
down my neck,
drip from my
fingers, puzzling
over this flower
that had drawn me
to it with this
clash of cymbals,
brittle song
of thunder.


(originally published in Kaleidoscope; included in my first collection, Chance of Rain, published by Finishing Line Press, 2003, read on Marion Roach's program on Sirius Radio, June, 2006)

-S&G-


HEY, DON'T BE SHY ... If you feel like making a quick comment, please do ... that can be done below the current installment, if you like.


Or if you'd prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations. Just send an e-mail, please, to rbrimm@peoplepc.com... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT week (I hope) ... take care ... see ya (I REALLY hope).

-S&G-


© 2009

1 comment:

This and That said...

The poem evokes wonderful imagery. It makes me want to get my paints out and paint a red rose along a fence under a thundering sky :)