Saturday, September 12, 2009

Defying Gravity





Uh-OH ... look out ... this was one of those weeks when nothing happened ... so-o-o-o ... you know what that means: I’ll probably end up talking endlessly ... about nothing, of course.


-S&G-


Oh, I did run into an old writing buddy ... at watercolor class. He not only remembered my name (and I remembered his, too, by the way) ... but he also remembered one of my poems that I had shared, way back when we were attending the same writing group.


The poem? “Clutter, Glorious Clutter.” I wasn’t quite sure how to take that. Maybe he thought of me as being a really messy person. Maybe he just liked the poem, I finally decided. Yep. I liked that conclusion.


And what did I do? I went right home and dug out “Clutter ... “ then, not wanting all that effort to go to waste, I posted it on my other (daily) blog, “Chosen Words,” along with one of my photos.


I know, some of you are regular readers of “Chosen Words” ... maybe not daily, but regularly visiting the site.


For those who may not have discovered it ... or may have forgotten how to get there ... here’s a link:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com


Let me know if you arrived there safely ... and your reaction to the posting. 


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE: “God made man before woman so as to give him time to think of an answer for her first question.” - courtesy of TIL (Illinois)


-S&G-


REMEMBER THESE? - courtesy of WALT (Ohio):


Candy cigarettes ... wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside ... soda machines that dispensed glass bottles ... coffee shops with table-side jukeboxes ... Blackjack, Clove and Teaberrry chewing gums ... home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.


-S&G-

YOU KNOW you’re a Floridian if ... flip-flops are everyday wear. Shoes are for business meetings and church ... but you HAVE worn flip-flops to church before (more than once!) - courtesy of HELEN (Florida)
  
-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM - Oh, wouldn't it be great to be able to rise above the everyday problems that continue to plague us?


I thought about that. I thought about literally rising above them, sailing off as carefree as a bird ... or more like a big red balloon which had just gained its freedom. Of course, I came back to earth, to the reality that things would still bug me, but I felt better able to cope.




How's that for a bit of therapy ... at least in the realm of things which, in the long view of things, aren't all that important? Maybe if I practice on the little things I will be better able to rise above the larger, more serious hurdles which lie ahead. It's a thought, anyway. 


Now the poem:


DEFYING GRAVITY


With practice, I fully expect
someday to defy the gravity
of situations that bug me now.


A promise broken beyond repair,
an umbrella gone inside-out,
the spilled beans of some urgent
secret, the hole in my sock,
a lost mitten, broken shoelace,
a bookmark gone astray,
my coffee cup gone stone cold,
things I’ve forgotten,
crawling out, feeling old.


I see myself like a giant
red balloon, rising easily
above them all. And don’t you
dare grab the string.
(originally published in Potpourri)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-
© 2009  

No comments: