Saturday, November 7, 2009

After Summer






Would you believe that this was another of those weeks when nothing ... absolutely nothing ... happened here?


Well, it was ... unless, of course, I wasn’t paying attention and missed everything. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the security tapes to be played again.


Meanwhile, I’ll be brief ... with this one exception: An exchange of thoughts between Professor Squigglee and me ... unusual, because ... as you may already know ... some people think that he and I are the same person (based, I assume, on our never being seen in the same room together ... or talking to each other).


Rest assured, the following did take place ... though I’m not at liberty to say precisely where or when it occurred ...   


-S&G-


I think I startled Professor Squigglee when I nudged him (his interlude of deep meditation had descended to the snoring stage, and I felt I had to get his attention).


“What ... what? Are we there yet?” he said, while fumbling around, trying to find his glasses ... which, as it turned out, were resting on his forehead ... high forehead, that is.


“Yes, we’re there,” I replied. “It’s Friday evening ... and I’m sure throngs of people are setting their alarms for early Saturday morning so they’ll be among the first to discover what we have to say in this installment of S&G.”


“S&G?”


“Yes, you know ... Squiggles and ... “


“I know ... I know ... Squiggles and Giggles. How could I forget? I was just a bit startled that it had come up so suddenly.”


“It always does.”


“Yes, as a matter of fact, it does seem to. Well, at the moment I don’t have anything to contribute.”


“Nothing?”


“Oh, we might remind everybody to do their homework. One of these days there will be a test, you know.”


“No, I didn’t know that.”


“Oh, yes. There’s always a test lurking down the line. That’s why I keep urging everyone to pay attention ... even when they’re nodding off ... especially when they’re nodding off in the middle of one of your poems.”


“Are you kidding? Who would do that?”


“I’m not going to mention any names ... even though I’ve made little checkmarks beside some of them. I have to admit, too, that my own eyelids have gotten heavy a couple of times.”


“I thought that was a sign of deep thought.”


“You could say that ... but it wouldn’t be true.”


“Well, Professor ... I guess it’s up to me, if YOU don’t have anything to say. As a matter of fact, I don’t have anything either. Are you sure ... ?”


“Oh, you might ... on my behalf ... suggest that members of the class ... when and if they show up ... address their questions directly to me, rather than talking among themselves in hopes of stumbling onto the correct answers for some of life’s riddles.”


“Okay, I’ll ... “


“Oh, and please remind them ... no snapping of their fingers in an effort to get my attention. I HATE that!”


“No snapping ... right. By the way, when do you expect them to show up again?”


“Any day now, I suppose. I’m a patient person. I can wait. Now, may I just leave a wake-up call?”


“Right, Professor. Right.”




-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM: In keeping with my promise to be brief, I’ve selected a short poem to share today. 


I’ve written a lot of those. Oh, have I ever. Has something to do with writer’s cramp ... or writer’s block ... or maybe attention span. But that’s another story.


Briefly speaking, though, I see now that it might have been just a line or two longer ... in order to incorporate the chorus of leaf blowers (which are providing background music as I write this) ... and then I could have mentioned the dreaded snow blowers.


Did I really say I was going to be brief?


The poem? Here ‘tis:


AFTER SUMMER


Comes autumn,
when the mighty
chorus of mowers
ceases singing,
an intermission
too soon followed
by a chorale
of snow blowers.


(originally published in Capper’s)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-
© 2009  

No comments: