Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Frozen Pond







LOREE (Kansas) was just beginning an e-mail to Professor Squigglee ... or maybe me ... when she was interrupted ... 


No, it wasn’t the sound of reindeer prancing on the roof ... too early for that ... and it wasn’t Santa sliding down the chimney ... this sound was coming from outside.


More specifically, it was coming from Loree’s trusted canine who boards in the shop building ... where the door is always open so she can come and go ... settle down inside to sleep ... and easily get out to do her nightly patrols.


Leaving the other two dogs inside, as a safety measure, Loree put on a coat, stocking cap ... and took along a flashlight.


“I had barely stepped on the little deck-type porch,” Loree reports, “when I heard a rustling in the leaves just to the south of me. I turned ... and in the spotlight I threw on him was a SKUNK!


“There could not have been over six feet separating the two of us. In my best authoritative ... no nonsense voice ... I threatened him: Go on! Get OUT of HERE!


“I must have made a believer of him, for he kicked a few leaves in a last gesture of defiance ... then took off for the south yard fence and made a getaway.


“Which was alright with me. I didn’t relish pursuit that might result in ending up in a healthy dose of ‘A La Skunk’ aimed at me.


“In fact, when I first saw him I didn’t move anything but the light ... just in case he decided to spray ... and ask questions later. I would have been an easy target for sure!”


-S&G-


Oh, and LOREE asks: Do you ever have any skunks visit Brimm Manor? I hope not.


My official response: No, we haven’t had any here at Brimm Manor since we instituted a reservations-only policy. Oh, we used to get maybe one every couple of years or so, and now we get some who try to pass themselves off as possums, but they can’t fool me, no matter what kind of disguise they use. 


We did have some squirrels which were throwing wild parties in the attic, but we had our trees trimmed back a bit, and those “tree rats” haven’t figured out how to overcome that problem ... yet.


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE: “No presents, please! I’m still trying to figure out how to assemble ... or use ... or determine what last year’s presents were supposed to be used for ... thank you very much.” - Professor Squigglee


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM - There were a lot of ponds in the area where I grew up, but this poem is about one particular pond ... on the property where my brothers and sisters lived at that time. When I got to visit them (but that's another story), it was our favorite gathering place. I did my first fishing there. I went sledding down the hill and out onto the ice of that pond.




It was one of the first places I wanted to see when I came home on furlough after completing basic training. Years later, during a visit back to Illinois, I drove out in that area to show my wife that pond. But the house was gone, the land was overgrown, and we didn't even get a glimpse of the pond.




For all I know, the pond may not even exist now, but it's very much alive in my memory. The poem was originally published in Capper's ... and I know, I know ... some of you may have heard it before ... but it talks to me about a special place ... and I hope you won't mind.




The poem:




THE FROZEN POND


The pond was always home
for wayward leaves,
adding, in late summer,
the yellowed offerings
of the black walnut tree,
then the reds and golds
of maple and tulip trees,
like tiny boats lazing
among the ducks, twirling
at the tiniest stirrings
of air or water, remaining
trapped below the surface
when winter came, as though
waiting for us to come
thundering down the hill
on our sleds, out onto
the ice, that marvelous,
jeweled surface spinning
us around and around,
our laughter spilling out,
still echoing back.




-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


© 2009

No comments: