Saturday, January 9, 2010

Heading South






"'Twas the night before ... "


Nah ... that was something else, right? ... where not even a mouse was exploring the house ... and suddenly there was a ruckus on the roof. 


Then this rather bulky guy comes sliding down the chimney ... and ho-ho-HO! ... I think you know the rest of the story.


-S&G-


Ah, but it is the night before the venerable Squiggles and Giggles is to appear magically on computer screens around the world ... at least around the corner ... and a little farther than that, in a couple of instances.


But once again I find myself with nothing to write about.


Of course, you know what that means ... especially if you’re in the habit of printing out Squiggles to inflict it on ... er, share it with ... others: Be sure the printer has lots of paper.


But I promise to be relatively brief ... just this once. OK?


-S&G-


It all began many years ago, in a small farming community ...


Nah ... that’s not right, either.


It began a couple of days ago ... when all the local forecasters agreed on one thing: SNOW.


And did it ever snow ... all day, and probably all night, too. I watched it coming down all day (when I should’ve been doing some light mental pushups in preparation for the inevitable night-before production of another installment of Squiggles).


But, as I said, I watched ... and watched ... and watched ... all day, but not all night, I can assure you. I hardly ever work the night shift now.


-S&G-


Then Friday morning arrived ... and what should appear to my wondering eyes? Snow ... and more snow ... as far as the eye could see.


Naturally, the Brimm Manor servants had the day off ... or had called in with various excuses. Even Professor Squigglee was absent ... off doing research, I presume.


Well, somebody had to clear all that snow from the long, curving, winding driveway that ends at the multi-compartmented building where The Little Red Car awaits our next adventure together.


I hated to have Phyllis doing all that shoveling alone ... especially with the neighbors peering out their windows ... so I grabbed a shovel, too ... and in a matter of hours (I thought it would take days, but Phyllis really goes after intruding snows) ... we had the drive cleared sufficiently for Little Red to get out and ... if we were lucky ... back in.


I must say that Little Red seemed more than a little surprised when we broke in upon it with our keys at the ready.


-S&G-


So we celebrated ... by going out to mail some letters which had piled up while the snow was piling up ... by taking an indoor walk at one of our favorite places ... then, on the way home, by stopping at a fast-food place for some warm nibbles.


-S&G-


There you have it ... not only did nothing (except lots of snow) happen this week ... but here I am on Friday night with nothing to write about ... again.


Sorry.


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM - It’s another “oldie” ... so some of you may have seen it before. Sorry about that (I seem to be apologizing a lot today, right? I seem to do that a lot when I’m tired ... so maybe all that shoveling did steal some of my energy).


It’s a little off-kilter, as seasons go, but ... I was out for my daily walk when I saw those geese rising ... stood watching them ... don't remember if I sat at the next bus stop to put my reactions on paper, or waited till I got home ... but I had a poem in the making, right there on that street.


Sorry I didn’t have my camera with me (there I go again), but maybe you’ll get the picture as you wend your way through what I wrote.


The poem:


HEADING SOUTH


Just beyond the trees
giving up their gaudy
leaves of autumn, five geese
rise slowly, dark against
a mottled sky, heading
generally southward,
seeking those highways
that the wild geese take,
while I stand rooted
where chance has put me.


I shall think of them,
wishing vaguely that I had
their gift of flight
as I ride out the storms
of winter, waiting to hear
their honking again,
telling me the season
is breaking, melting into
spring, skein of renewal
linking those who can fly,
those who can only wish.
© 1997
(originally published in Capper's)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


© 2010

No comments: