Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shovel? Maybe Later





I’ve said it before ... and I’ll say it again: SNOW is a four-letter word.


We all know that ... but some people revel in it ... some people make their living in it ... or from it.


Me? I hate it. Always have. Even in those young, innocent years when I thought snow was for playing in ... for making snowballs ... and tracks ... for building snowmen (yes, that’s what we called them way back in that previous century) ... maybe even building something we called a fort ... even then I had some reservations about snow.


Forget four-wheel drive ... or snow tires. We didn’t even have a car. It’s not always easy ... and not much fun ... trudging through the rising tide of winter.


There’s something about the way the flakes ... never mind that there are no two alike ... come drifting down inside your coat collar (thank goodness, I had a coat) ... or crawling inside your boots (I didn’t have those; but don’t worry: I wasn’t barefoot).


Deep down inside, I guess I’ve never reveled in snow.


Oh, I have to admit that it makes a pretty picture. I’ve snapped a few of those ... I’ve painted a few ... watercolors, oils ... I’ve enjoyed some “live” winter scenes ... mainly from behind windows.


Today (Friday), for example, I’ve been inside watching the snow sifting down outside, living up to predictions of possibly a foot-deep covering here within the next 24 hours.


I’m watching it as a shut-in. Whoa! I’m not sick ... just shut-in. I might have made it out of the house earlier today, when we were getting word that the expected arrival of the (four-letter word) had been delayed.


I hesitated, though, and missed an opportunity to get out there to cavort a bit ... with my daily walk, I hasten to add ... before things got as slippery as a politician’s promise.


So here I sit. Inside. At the keyboard. 


The Little Red Car ... snug in its own living quarters out back ... is probably puzzling over why I haven’t made an appearance today.


Well, Little Red, it’s all because of that four-letter word: SNOW ... and I can’t help wondering when it will STOP. I just hope this weather doesn’t imitate today’s typical driver and RUN the STOP sign. But that’s a topic for another day, right?


-S&G-


AND WHERE is Professor Squigglee during all this? I imagine he’s inside someplace, too ... snuggled up to a warm book ... on the verge of drifting off into deep thought.


-S&G-


LOREE (Kansas) writes: “The poem, 'Autumn Night,' is so descriptive. Those nights are great, but it is what follows that is much less impressive!


“Like right now ... we had eight inches of snow a couple of days ago, and now we’re dealing with freezing fog and mist overnight ... early each morning, since Nature seems to have become stagnant and unable to go forward at all! Oh, well, as they say, be grateful for small favors ... it could be worse, if she loses her traction and starts slipping backward.


“Speaking of which, I’m glad I came equipped with a ‘compound low’ gear for my transmission ... for I’ve used that more of late, when going out to care for the animals and bring the mail in. A harsh winter is NOT for older people, for sure.


-S&G-


LOREE continues: “While the dogs cavort around me, sending up sprays of the endless white suff, I’m trying to gingerly make the trip OUT ... and back to the house ... without busting my career, or breaking a bone!


“Can spring be far away, with Winter giving us his last gasp?”


-S&G-


Oh, Loree ... I don’t know. Spring is like a long drive. I keep asking: Are we there yet?


I don’t know exactly when we’ll arrive ... but we are another day closer (I hope) to that seemingly elusive season.


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM:  Sometimes I have this thing about "going against the season": In the winter, when I'm freezing, like now ... I keep my mittens on ... and try writing something about summer. 


It’s not easy, you know ... writing while wearing mittens ... but no sacrifice is too great for the faithful few who gather here each week for these words of wisdom.


Speaking of which, I seem to have run out of those ... words of wisdom, that is ... and I don’t seem to have a summer poem near the top of the stack, so here’s a winter poem:


SHOVEL? MAYBE LATER


From door to street
Isn't all that far,
But with a sleet-
And snow-bound car
Stuck in the drive,
I might just as well
Take another five
And snooze a spell.
(originally published in Mature Living)

-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


© 2010

No comments: