Saturday, March 6, 2010

Early Writer





ANYBODY NOTICE that I kept stacking little bits and pieces on last week’s installment of “Squiggles”? I don’t think I’ve ever managed that before ... and it’s unlikely to happen again.


But I enjoyed doing it ... thanks to some help ... a lot of help ... from readers. Thank you, one and all. I’m sure “Squiggles” would not still be going ... without your patience ... and your help.


-S&G-


LAST FRIDAY I sent out a couple of e-mails to alert people to the upcoming installment, which I hoped to have ready for posting early Saturday ... late Sunday, at the latest.


Maybe I should’ve waited ... but I’ve learned that if I put something off, even just a little, it’s like wiping the slate clean. I forget to get back to what I intended to do.


Anyhow ... I sent the e-mails and got some replies, among them a delightful response from LOREE (Kansas).


-S&G-


THE GIST of Loree’s e-mail: “After your heads-up about the new installment, I quickly went to S&G ... full of anticipation, my heart and mind running a close race, to read that new issue!


“Alas, there was only the one from last week ... does that mean I am quicker than you can POST the installment? (Everybody is quicker than I am, Loree) 


“Whatever ... I just re-read that one, while waiting to see if the new installment would join me shortly. 


“When I read the part again about my tying for the Gold Star award, I knew at that moment EXACTLY how those competing in the Olympics feel ... my heart was pounding, as your other reader and myself jostled (in my imagination) for the right to stand on that little round platform as Professor Squigglee draped the ribbon around my neck ... the Gold Star (pretty tiny!) at the bottom of the oval the ribbon made!


“I could hear the wild cheers from the rest of the S&G readers, even feel the envy, as they imagined themselves being thus honored!


“And best of all? No rain, no snow, no broken bones ... just a few tiny blisters on the end of my fingertips!”


-S&G-


TODAY’S STRESS TIP - (courtesy of RUTH, Ohio, by way of Third Way Café, I believe): 


“Look at me! Look how busy, rushed and vital I am! This, unfortunately, is the way many of us view our over-scheduled lives. Sure, running around in the thick of it can often be exhilarating. But it’s a precarious house of cards. A single scheduling glitch can cause everything to spin out of control. Worse, always operating in crisis mode puts a tremendous amount of stress and wear-and-tear on you - weakening your immune system and aging you mercilessly. So don’t compete or boast about how crazed your are. Being productively calm and in control wins out in the long run.”


(You mean ... instead of doing my 15-minute “sprints” all day ... and sometimes late into the evening ... I should just kick back and have a nap ... er, some deep, relaxing meditation? Whoa! But maybe I’d better leave a wake-up call, just in case.)




-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE - “Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow.” - Norman Vincent Peale (courtesy of WALT, Ohio)




-S&G-




TODAY’S POEM - I write any time I can, but I've found mornings best, before other details of the day ... yesterday's unfinished chores, today's agenda ... begin pressing in.


Still, I'm not naturally a morning person.


I don't spring out of bed singing and laughing and dancing.


I'm not a total grump either. It's just that I'm not fully wound at that time of the day, as evidenced by this little poem ... which is, itself, further evidence of why I don't write much rhyme, and perhaps shouldn't write any at all.


But here's the poem:


EARLY WRITER


Up at the crack of dawn
After a restless night,
Sleeves rolled up, thinking cap on.
The time has come to write.
Outline great, title gold,
The rest should be a snap,
But I feel vaguely old,
Like I should take a nap.
Still, I grope for the keys,
Get set to take the leap.
One moment, if you please:
My brain is still asleep.


(originally published in PKA's Advocate)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


And if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: