Saturday, May 8, 2010

If Elected ...



I’ll be brief.


Hey, you say, who is this guy? Where’s Bob? Or Professor Squigglee? Can we see some photo ID ... or how about a show of fingerprints?


Oh, it’s me, alright. But can I really be brief? Yep. Can I make it last? Nope.


But I’m trying very hard this time.


Bear with me.


-S&G-


FIRST, THE ROSES ... and it was a beautiful bouquet from LOREE, Kansas (thank you very much): 


“First, I want to say I LOVE that poem (“Homecoming” in last week’s installment) about being back home after a vacation! I can just see it! And maybe that’s why I am such a poor traveler myself ... It is as hard on me (I’m nervous in traffic), and I feel sorry for the car ... It is asking an awful lot for it to carry such a load for miles and miles. Makes me wonder if cars like to see new and strange places.”


-S&G- 


TODAY’S QUOTE: “Every time I venture out behind the wheel, I can’t help marveling at ALL THOSE DRIVERS out there, going right ahead and driving ... while waiting for brain transplants.” - Professor Squigglee


-S&G-


LOOKING BACK ... this time all the way back to MONDAY, November 3, 2003 ... when “Squiggles” was an e-mailed newsletter, plopping regularly into the electronic mailboxes of an estimated 51 readers in 15 states. That’s when I said: “YOU KNOW how I hate starting rumors ... or even passing them on ... but I think I saw BIGFOOT the other day ... ducking into a shoe store.” 


-S&G-


QUICK UPDATE: Remember last week when Loree was watching with mixed emotions as her long-time home was being sold to the highest bidder?


And in my rush to share her account of that momentous event, I neglected to find out who the successful bidder was ... not that we would likely know them; just that we’re curious in such instances.


Well, it was the couple with the two busy-busy little girls. “Those little angels are evidently going to be raised in the country,” Loree relates. Then she adds something that many of us can relate with: “I love kids, for the most part, but it sure makes me glad I am not having to raise the new models!”


-S&G-  


TODAY’S POEM - Don't worry. I'm not running for office.


Honest. I'm not planning any long-winded speeches, I won't be asking for money ... or even your vote ... and I certainly won't be making any promises I can't keep. I promise you that.




Then what?




Today's poem was written at another time ... in another place ... when and where it seemed that everybody else in the whole universe was vying for a position at the public trough.




It was a time when politicians were talking our ears off ... and dogs were barking all night. What a wonderful combination, I thought ... and there's no disrespect for dogs intended in that, I assure you.




If I WERE to be elected ... to anything ... it seemed to me at the time ... I would prefer to be the officeholder responsible for "mudging" curs (whatever that means) ... not the first time that a responsibility has been invented out of pure air (remember when we still had some of that?) ... in order to garner the votes of the undecided ... and unsuspecting ...




Well, from there it was strictly downhill ... and fast. But I had fun with the poem (remember, no disrespect for dogs intended). Here it is:




IF ELECTED


When finally I have
attained full growth,
I think that I
should like to be
a curmudgeon, which,
I'm told by my pal,
clear-eyed Ed,
is one who
mudges curs.




It's the least they
deserve for barking
all night at nothing
in particular while
decent folk are
pounding pillows,
trying to sleep,
but only attaining
grouchyhoodedness.




I promise, if elected,
not to be stingy
with my curmudgeoning.


(originally published in Parnassus Literary Journal)








-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com




... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


And if you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog,  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: