Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sudden Thunder



AS YOU KNOW, I always try to start each installment with a bit of big news.


Are you ready? Well, here it is: 


It’s official ... my driver’s license renewal has been approved, and, in fact, I have proof of that in my pocket, even as we speak. And why not win approval? Actually, it was a breeze ... I was up all night the night before, studying for the eye exam.


Of course, this means that the Little Red Car and I will be out there ... legally ... among the BIG GUYS (and there are certainly a lot of them) ... probably infuriating a lot of other drivers because Little Red and I will be poking along at the posted legal speed limit ... coming to a complete stop at STOP signs, etc. Maybe even ... if I can remember to do it ... signaling what I’m INTENDING to do ... as opposed to what I just DID.


Put me behind the wheel, though, and I do seem to go against today’s standard practice(s). So be careful out there ... if you see us coming ... or have the misfortune to end up behind us.   


-S&G-


PROFESSOR SQUIGGLEE, as you may also know, is a stickler for punctuality. This means, of course, that if you take your seat late, you may find him peering over his glasses at you ... and you’re likely to be the next person he calls on.


(The Professor even attempts to practice it himself ... though, admittedly, he’s been known to miss an appointment himself now and then).


But he’s considerate when there are certain circumstances. For example, LOREE, Kansas, was a bit late reading last week’s installment of “Squiggles.” No problem. She had one of the best excuses the Prof has heard in a long time:


“Number one, Saturday was spent in mowing the front and the back yard areas.  Never mind that the grass looked a sickly, pale greenish brown color ... with friends coming to spend a few days, from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, it had to be done.


“Number two ... What was left of Saturday was spent in cleaning inside ... I wanted everything in its place, and then the place, itself, shining!  First appearances, you know?!

“Sunday was touch-up day ... straighten a throw rug, the big burgundy cushions on the hearth, twirl an African Violet around on the window sill ... it was leaning dangerously (at least it looked that way) toward the light!

“The hours came, and the hours went ... they were supposed to arrive around 11 a.m.  All they had to do was catch I-35 southwest from KC (where they had camped overnight) to Eldorado, KS, where they were to pick up US-77 and come straight into Winfield.  


“Well, perhaps 'straight' is an exaggeration, since there are some curves!


“Starting about noon, I started receiving phone calls from her, on her cell phone.  First one was a cheerful: 'We're headed your direction ... should be there shortly!'


“An hour later, the next call ... this time I thought I detected a twinge of anxiety, ‘We're getting closer!  When we get to Winfield, I'll call for directions to your new house.’


“I did the last-minute tour of the house, looking for anything out of place ... for about the third time.


“Ring!  Cell phone again ... this time, almost a sound of terror disguised.  Me, ‘Where the heck ARE you?!’  Her ... ‘We just came through Salina, so shouldn't be long now!’


“Me ... ‘What the heck are you doing in Salina?!  That's on I-70, and you are well on your way to Colorado, if you keep going!’


“Her ...’Well, the nice girl we asked, and who said she lives in your area, told us to take I-70!’


“Me ... ‘Go back INTO Salina, and follow signs SOUTH to Wichita!’
For the next couple of hours, I paced the floor, messing up my pretty fuzzy throw rugs!


“Finally the next call ... a more cheerful sounding voice ... 'Okay ... we are in Wichita ... now what?’ 


“I gave them more instructions ... and at 4:30 they drove into Winfield, called for directions and address of my new home, and shortly after that, were pulling into my driveway, behind my pickup.

“Of course, we joked about how they tried to take the scenic route, by way of Denver (had they gone far enough!), which just might have made them a couple of days late getting here :-)

“Anyway, that's my story,” Loree says, “and I'm sticking to it, as to why I didn't answer this week's installment earlier.”


-S&G-


TODAY'S POEM - When my computer stopped working, it seemed so sudden ... Doesn’t it always? ... 


The poem didn’t come immediately to mind ... believe me, I had a lot of other things on my mind ... but later, when a little ray of computer hope presented itself to me ... then, oh, then ... I did think about the poem ... and how I had stood there in the rain, admiring a red, red rose that I would not have seen, had the thunder not caused me to turn and look in its direction.




I suppose there’s a lesson of some sort in there ... some place ... but I’ll leave that to you.




Meanwhile, the poem:




SUDDEN THUNDER




I was going along,
immersed in thought,
when a nearby
crash of thunder
wheeled me around
and I was looking
down a long driveway
toward a red, red rose
that was leaning
and straightening
beside a dark
gray fence.




For the longest
moment I remained
rooted, letting
the rain trickle
down my neck,
drip from my
fingers, puzzling
over this flower
that had drawn me
to it with this
clash of cymbals,
brittle song
of thunder.




(originally published in Kaleidoscope; included in my first collection, Chance of Rain, published by Finishing Line Press, 2003, read on Marion Roach's program on Sirius Radio, June, 2006)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: