Saturday, October 9, 2010

Morning Talk





(Okay, so I got the horizon a little tilted, but I think you get the idea of those river fountains)


It was such a beautiful day! 


We just had to get out and enjoy it ... and it was obvious that The Little Red Car felt the same way. It kicked up its heels and shouted, “Let’s Go!” (figuratively) the minute we walked out the back door and down the steps.


We were hoping it would be sunny ... and a bit warmer ... because we had a watercolor session in the outdoors on our calendar. We had sorta hoped there would be a small group involved, but, as it turned out, only Phyllis and I turned up at the appointed place and time.


We enjoyed walking along the path beside the river ... taking care not to block the passage of bike riders who were out enjoying the day, too. 


We watched the birds swooping and diving toward the mirrored water, felt the sun warming our backs, enjoyed the peaceful quiet.


And our timing was perfect, too. When we were just finishing our walk and arriving at the agreed-on site, the river fountains were going full blast ... framing the skyline of the city ... glistening in the morning sun ... welcoming us, it seemed.


I took a lot of pictures with my handy-dandy little digital camera ... and they should come in handy as bits of reference when the weather turns sour later on, and the snow starts piling up.


I had so much fun snapping various scenes, in fact, that I almost forgot my main mission ... to do some watercolor painting. 


I say ALMOST forgot ... but, in fact, I remembered ... then decided, no, it was such a beautiful day ... I would leave the palette, the easel, the watercolor paper, the little container of water ... all that painting gear ... in the car, and just enjoy the stroll and photo taking.


So I did.


Little Red seemed a little puzzled that I hadn’t come back to unload the trunk, but was still glad to see us, and we were soon off on another mission.


(Please ... please ... please don’t tell Little Red, but the “other mission” was to start looking at cars ... used ones, that is ... hoping to find one that we might someday be able to afford.)


Little Red, understand, has entered those difficult TEEN years ... and has racked up a lot of miles. So there are times when we feel life is an uphill struggle for Little Red, and maybe we should start thinking about ... well, you know ...


Little Red sat patiently while we strolled the used car lot with a sales person who had seen us coming ... and was there to greet us almost before Little Red had settled into a parking place.


We looked at a lot of cars ... and we were struck by one thing in particular: Cars are really expensive!


We looked and looked, and finally found our way back to where Little Red was still waiting. 


And tonight ... while we’re bedded down in the master bedroom of Brimm Manor ... rest assured, Little Red is still with us ... no, not in the master bedroom ... in the main garage.


And I may sleep a bit better, knowing Little Red is still there.


-S&G- 


In between watercolor outings and used-car forays, I’ve been trying to catch up on the stacks ... before they start tumbling again.


Here goes:


This ... I was going to say recently ... but it’s actually been a while since I received it from HELEN, Florida: Seen on a bag of Fritos – You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside. (The shoplifter special?)


-S&G-


To DAVID, Indiana ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!


-S&G-


If you were anywhere in the neighborhood of our friend, LOREE, Kansas, recently, you might have seen her perched on a ladder, cleaning all the guttering on her house.


(I find that just a bit scarey ... since I have a strict policy of keeping at least one foot on the ground during any and all outdoor chores)


Anyway, she did it all herself ... well, with a little help from a five-gallon bucket, into which she stuffed leaves, twigs and debris ... upwards of 10 or 12 buckets full. Whew!


Loree adds: “Moved all my plants inside the greenhouse and, naturally, it is warming back up again!” She’d heard there had been light scattered frost out in the country ... and better safe than sorry.


By the way, if you’d like to see one of Loree’s recent creations:


http://www.poetrybyloree.com/446.html


She notes: “The graphic is a photo shot by my son ... he has a good eye :-)” (I’ve seen it, and she’s right about that


-S&G-


From RUTH, Ohio: Difference ‘tween North & South: “Remember, ‘Y’all’ is singular, ‘all y’all’ is plural ... and ‘all y’all’s is plural possessive.”


-S&G-


From WALT, Ohio: “Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?”


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE: “Life engenders life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.” - Sarah Bernhardt


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM - I like to think that poems come to me ... and they will, I've discovered, if I can just sit still in one place long enough.


This one may not have come to me, exactly, but I found the material for it in the tree just outside my window. 




I sat listening to a certain sound, then located its source ... and watched.




From there it was simply a matter of putting my impressions on paper before they ... the impressions, that is ... flew away.




I admit that I found more than just the sights and sounds of a mother-and-daughter exchange between two cardinals to write about.




Before I'd finished, I couldn't resist drawing the parallel between these two beautiful little creatures and the rest of us ... we superior beings who "own" so much of this material world ... and are, perhaps, so bent on possessing more of it ... that we neglect to build little bridges between us ... particularly between the generations.




End of sermon. 




And now, on to the poem:


MORNING TALK


Amid a rising tide of summer sounds,
I slowly become aware of one pair 
catching my ear more than the others.


Then there they are, a mother cardinal
and her offspring, flitting and talking
to each other in the blue spruce.


Talking of food, perhaps, or safety
in these thick boughs, weighty subjects,
or maybe just chit-chat between 


this mother and her young daughter.
I have no way of knowing, but they
seem to have found an understanding,


a quiet accord, like a gently swaying 
footbridge between the generations,
that we humans keep hoping to find.


(originally published in Capper's


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: