Saturday, February 7, 2009

Anybody There?




Recent days have been a blur ... like being caught in a swirling snow storm ... like we actually were (though, thank goodness, we were just watching from indoors).


There were days that we didn’t even get out of the house ... unless you count popping a head out and extending a hand to see if any mail had arrived.


Others tell me that they experienced three days like that ... but it seemed more like three WEEKS to me. Time really drags sometimes, doesn’t it?


-S&G-


EVEN AFTER we broke free of the house and ventured out across the icecap ... there was ONE night ... and I’m sure The Little Red Car will not forget THAT night.


You see, Brimm Manor ... the main part of Brimm Manor, that is ... is separated from the luxurious, multi-bayed garage by a long, sweeping driveway (I’m sure I’ve mentioned the long, sweeping driveway before).


Without any encouragement ... or assistance from us ... that driveway had turned into a long, sweeping ice rink.


Not having any ice skates in Little Red when we returned from an evening out, we decided it would be better ... safer (we didn’t want to break any ice by falling on it) ... to use the servants’ entrance at the side of the main house.


That, of course, meant that poor, long-suffering Little Red shivered in the driveway overnight.


-S&G-


NEXT MORNING, we discovered that Little Red was covered with a new blanket ... of fresh snow and icicles.


As might be expected ... Little Red was a bit put out about being treated that way ... didn’t respond cheerily at first when we turned the key ... but relented (the prospect of new, warmer adventures, no doubt) ... and we were on our way again.


-S&G-


ONE PLACE we visited ... on a br-r-r-isk winter evening ... was the Troy-Hayner Cultural Center where we ... and a pleasingly large crowd of others ... were treated to a poetry reading by Jane K. Kretschmann, leading off this year’s series of "The Poet Speaks."


It was a great reading ... and on the way home we talked about how glad we were that we had ventured out on such a cold night ... Little Red seemed pleased, too ... and just purred right along.


-S&G-


ONE DIVIDEND of our venturing out to the Troy-Hayner was that I acquired a SIGNED copy of Jane’s (yes, we’re on a first-name basis) collection, Imagining a Life ... and it’s on the top of my current must-read stack.


-S&G-


ANOTHER PLUS ... the Troy-Hayner is always showcasing a generous supply of pluses ... was that we had an opportunity to view the stunning work in the "Uncommon Threads" exhibit by the Miami Valley Art Quilt Network.


The very thought of that is enough to bring warm feelings ... but that’s nothing compared to the visual treat the work provides.


For those within driving distance, I heartily recommend a look ... but don’t delay ... the show ends February 22.


-S&G-


MORNING FOG ... have I mentioned that before? It ushers in the start of each day for me.


I thought surely that would cease with retirement ... you know, an easy schedule ... no need to be out and about before sunrise ... or even AT that blessed event.


But it never ends, I guess.


Here I am on Saturday morning ... thanks to having frittered away a Friday evening in the face of a looming S&G "deadline."


I’m sure you’ve already detected inverse tendencies at work ... the less I have to say, the more I write.


-S&G-


WHAT I REALLY sat down to say was that I appreciate your patience ... I really do ... while I continue to struggle ... not with just the encroaching icecap ... but with computer problems ... and my own tendencies toward disorganization and slowness.


I’m trying ... really trying ... to catch up on my "Chosen Words" postings ... to stay current ... now ... with S&G ... AND to catch up on responding to your kind, generous, thoughtful comments through all this.


One of these days ... I almost said that I’ll be fully caught up ... but I’m not sure that will ever happen.


-S&G-


MEANWHILE, your continued patience, please ... and, finally ... here’s another poem:


ANYBODY THERE?


If I were to begin
sharing my poetry,
all these feverish
things I’ve written,
would anybody hear?
Would anybody listen
during "open mike"?
Would bus passengers
get up and move out
of earshot? Would
strangers dart down
dark alleys? Would
cats cross the street,
dogs whine, beg off?
Would - I say, would
you please wake up?
(originally published in PKA's Advocate)

-S&G-


IF YOU FEEL like making a quick comment, please do ... below the current installment, if you like.


Or if you'd prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations. Just send an e-mail, please, to rbrimm@peoplepc.com... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT week ... take care ... see ya.


-S&G-
© 2009

No comments: