Saturday, February 14, 2009

Someday, Yes!

(One of my old, old paintings ... dusted off just for the occasion)

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!

And I hope it’s a great day for you ... even if ... like me ... you’re confined to merely WATCHING while others indulge in the sweet treats that go with so many holidays (my doctor seems to have ways of detecting that I’ve even been watching, much less gobbling any of my ... former ... favorites).

As some of you may recall, I was once known as The Cake Man ... but now it’s officially ... and forever ... The Cake Man (ret.).

-S&G-

FRIDAY WAS SUCH a beautiful day here in Ohio that I did indulge in one of my favorite pursuits.

The Little Red Car was ready and waiting when we emerged from the back door ... descended the recently ice-freed steps and walked ... with nary a skid nor slide ... to the garage.

The wind was still a bit nippy (a reminder that, hey, it’s not quite spring yet) ... so we went to a park ... had an in-the-car picnic ... dining on sandwiches we had picked up on the way ... and sharing a low-cal drink.

Then we explored the park ... well, parts of it, at least ... on foot.

We didn’t venture too far from the paved portions ... driveway ... parking lot ... a walkway down to a dock where we watched the ducks and geese enjoying the open water.

We couldn’t help noticing that there was still ice on the water nearest us ... still a bit of snow in a shaded area along the shore.

But it was great to get out ... even though when we arrived home I discovered that ... while I was gawking I’d been walking in some mud. It appeared that The Little Red Car had stepped in some, too.

S&G-

BOOK NOOK – I’ve finished reading Imagining a Life, by Jane K. Kretschmann ... enjoyed it ... recommend it. And what have you been reading ... or recommend ... or both?

-S&G-

PICKING UP THE PIECES - One of these days I’ll quit harping on computer problems ... weather problems ... math problems ... all kinds of problems ... and simply get back to normal squiggling and giggling.

Honest.

But when I sat down to start work (Work? Can I really get away with calling it that?) on this installment of S&G, the phrase, "picking up the pieces," immediately came to mind ...

I have so much of that to do ... maybe I should rename S&G ... all of it ... PICKING UP THE PIECES.

Better yet, maybe I should call it: FUMBLING AROUND WHILE TRYING TO PICK UP THE PIECES.

-S&G-

SPEAKING OF picking up the pieces ... LOREE (Kansas) watched as the workers jumped out of their truck and hit the ground running. They were there to install a new carport.

"What they said they usually do in 40 minutes took an hour at my house," Loree reports. "Not because they enjoyed the location and hated to leave, but because the wind was gusting to 50 miles per hour."

Loree was especially concerned for their safety when it came time to take the long, wide sheets of roofing metal "up top."

"I warned another bystander," she says, "to be sure and stay upwind from the sheets on the ground ... then came inside for a cup of coffee and a break from the wind."

"I returned to the window in the entry door just as three sheets of metal decided it would be easy to fly ... and got airborne. They traveled probably 20 to 30 feet before crashing into the circle drive further north."

The project was completed though ... and Loree concludes: "Even in Kansas, the wind eventually tires out and lays to rest."

-S&G-

TODAY'S POEM - On occasion, I may say that I'm "sprinting" ... but don't worry, I'm not ... even when others are standing still, my own motion would never be mistaken for sprinting.

I do move short distances ... or for brief periods of time. In that respect, I may seem to be "sprinting" ... but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Likewise, this talk (in today's poem) about high jumping is not to be taken literally.

Oh, there was a time ... mind you, I didn't set any records in the high jump ... but I did manage to clear the bar a few times ... the crossbar, that is ... and ... maybe once or twice ... I did come dancing up out of the sawdust-filled pit (those were the good old days ... before all these cushy landings that await jumpers now).

Anyway ... for now, the poem:

SOMEDAY, YES!

I keep setting
the crossbar higher
on personal goals,
practicing harder
on my approach,
take-off, landing,
working toward
that height
my mind's eye
sees as my limit,
that level I will
someday clear,
adrenalin pumping,
glitter of sawdust
showering off me
as I come dancing
up out of the pit
into the circle
of winners. Yes!

(originally published in Capper’s)

-S&G-

IF YOU FEEL like making a quick comment, please do ... below the current installment, if you like.

Or if you'd prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations. Just send an e-mail, please, to
rbrimm@peoplepc.com... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)

-S&G-

UNTIL NEXT week ... take care ... see ya.

-S&G-
© 2009

Afterthoughts ... in response to your comments:

I'm glad you like the little painting, This and That. It's something of a worm's eye view of the steps leading into what was once one of my favorite stopping places on our summer jaunts. I sometimes still feel the sun on my back when I look at it, so I've enjoyed it, too, and enjoy sharing, of course.




1 comment:

This and That said...

I always love it when you post your paintings :) They're lovely little pieces of magic.