Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ice Storm

(Loree's photo of some ... just some ... of the ice storm damage at her place)

Now where was I?


I seem to be asking myself that more and more these days. I’d swear that Professor Squigglee and I are becoming more alike in that respect ... so much so that some people have trouble telling us apart.


That’s probably because we’re never seen in the same place at the same time ... yes, I’m sure that’s what has other people a bit confused.


But enough of that. Let’s just say that ... what with phone line problems ... computer problems ... and problems I can’t even recall the details of without prompting ... I’ve been in a bit of a fog recently.


Sorry about that.


-S&G-


I do sorta recall putting together a poor excuse of an installment of S&G ... a week or so ago ... if memory serves ... and it’s either around here some place ... or maybe I posted it.


-S&G-


One thing I’m sure of ... I got an e-mail from LOREE (Kansas), in which she mentioned the cleanup at her place after a devastating ice storm that swept across. But let’s let her tell about that:


"Speaking of being tired, the crew showed up at 1:30 yesterday (five of them), to saw, drag, rake and load (three two-ton truck loads) of leftovers from the Ice Storm Party.


"I even did some of the raking to try and help them out a bit ... and, worst of all, I missed my siesta! By the time they left at almost five o’clock, I could barely drag myself to the barn for the evening feeding and egg gathering.

"At least when I look out my windows now, there are no mountains of tree limbs as the only thing to see out there.


"Anyway, I know all about that ‘tired’ feeling ... just that sometimes when I wonder and think about what I’ve done to make me feel that way, I can’t even think of what has caused it. I hate admitting that old age might have some bearing on it, so I console myself with saying, ‘I’m just tired of being tired, and that is what is wearing me out!"


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE: "Over the years, I’ve become rather fond of dawdling. In fact, I’ve become so good at it that I’m thinking about taking it up professionally." - Professor Squigglee


-S&G-


AN EARLIER e-mail from LOREE (Kansas) began in the usual manner ... Hi, Bob ... but quickly took a very serious turn: "My county was declared a disaster area from the big ice storm we got. Would rather have had the 15-plus inches of snow they were predicting, but that didn’t happen."


Included was a front yard photo she had taken in the aftermath ... just a sample of what she was faced with (and, if I’ve hit the right buttons at the right time, we’re sharing that photo with you today).


She also shared a poem she had written about the experience:

ICE STORM

With just little warning,
Storm clouds were forming,
Gathering for a trek they would take ...
All those in their path
Would feel the storm's wrath,
So real, and not at all fake.

As it organized,
Grew enormous in size,
The warnings went out in advance ...
So all could prepare,
Lay in a stock of fare,
Leave nothing undone, left to chance.

With winds that were driven,
Could not be forgiven,
Remembered for years yet to come ...
What the storm left behind
Would boggle the mind
Before this ice storm was done.

I'm left to survey
Complete disarray,
Deal with the storm's calling card ...
My beautiful trees
Brought near to their knees,
The damage that covers my yard.

Still at long last
The storm has roared past,
Left blue skies and brightest sunshine. ..
In days it will seem
Like one more bad dream,
A memory born in its time.
© 2009 Loree (Mason) O’Neil


-S&G-


BOOK NOOK - Word from KELLY (Colorado): "I’m starting Mark Twain's, Roughing It. I always liked Jonathan Swift, Mark Twain and Voltaire. Can you imagine a dinner party with those three at the table? What drew me to read Roughing It was a line on the back cover: ‘... Roughing It must also be read as Twain's ... rejection of the mythic, romanticized image of the West, and his autopsy of the American dream.’ Can you imagine what Twain would be writing today!?"


She also adds: I hope you and your family are having a nice weekend. Please give Little Red Car a friendly nod for me! (Oh, we are, thank you very much! ... and I did pass along that nod to Little Red ... and I could’ve sworn that Little Red nodded back, too)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like.
Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com...

and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT WEEK (I hope) ... (I’m keeping my fingers crossed now) ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-
© 2009

No comments: