Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Week That Was



This has not been a good week.

Oh, there were moments. There are always moments in the worst of times, it seems, which offer a glimmer of light and encouragement.

For example, we were treated to a visit by our grandson ... our one and only ... and his parents ... and others in the family. Their visiting with us made last weekend not just tolerable, but enjoyable.

But there were other "moments" ... days ... long days, in fact ... when things weren’t going so well.
I’ll give you the short version.

We had phone and computer problems. Day after day our phone line had so much noise on it we weren’t sure we even had a dial tone ... and the computer? ... well, it permitted us a few minutes ... here and there ... to have contact with the outside world.

And that was it.

Having grown up without the benefits of a telephone in the home ... and certainly without even dreaming of such a thing as a computer ... I had no idea they could get such a compelling grip on me. How very dependent on both I have become.

Thank goodness I had Phyllis here to calm me down ... to run interference with those who controlled the destinies of both the phone line and the computer ... to reassure me that things would turn out OK ... and, with her help, I survived.

I exaggerate when I speak of "surviving," of course, but there were times when that was what it felt like ... especially when the problem was finally fixed and phone and computer service were both restored (knock on wood).

So here we are ... Friday night, when I usually get in gear to pull S&G together ... and when that works, it’s largely thanks to those who have shared ideas and accounts of their own adventures ... but this time ... well, this time I’m feeling like I’ve been through the wringer.

I hope you will forgive me if I play a modified version of hooky ... (and please don’t let Professor Squigglee know) ... but I’m giving in to my primary feeling right now ... and that is simply to forget about the S&G "deadline" this time ...

In fact ... please don’t worry about me ... I’m OK ... mainly just tired ... a little frustrated, yes ... but mostly just tired.
I think I’ll just forget about everything for the whole weekend ... and then ... Monday or Tuesday, maybe ... I hope I’ll feel more like picking up the pieces and going on ... with an entry for "Chosen Words" and the beginnings of prep for an installment of S&G for next weekend.

Meanwhile, thanks for stopping by ... and many, many thanks for your patience and understanding.
Take care. See ya (I hope).

1 comment:

This and That said...

I hear you! I had intermittent (5 minutes on, 3 hours off) internet and phone service Sat - Wed morning. Well, the entire town did. I was surprised how angry I could get at an (intermittently) inanimate object: a dsl line!

So this weekend will be for regrouping :) I hope you have a beautiful - relaxing - weekend.