Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Healing Rain



MORE on The Importance of Walking: "I like long walks ... especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - courtesy of RUTH (Florida/Ohio)

-S&G-

UH-OH! ... "I dialed a number and got the following recording: I am not available right now, but thank you for caring enough to call. I am making some changes in my life. Please leave a message after the beep. If I do not return your call, you are one of the changes." - courtesy of TIL (Illinois)

-S&G-

TEST FOR OLD KIDS: "When the Beatles first came to the United States in early 1964, we all watched them on the __________________ Show." - courtesy of HELEN (Florida)


(Answer to last week’s test: a silver bullet. OK, show of hands ... how many got that one right? How about this week’s?)

-S&G-

TODAY’S QUOTE: "I wouldn’t mind racing against the clock ... if it would just give me a head start once in a while." - Professor Squigglee

-S&G-

LAST I HEARD from LOREE (Kansas) ... she was having computer problems ... was scanning the horizon for signs of a repair person galloping to the rescue ... was keeping her fingers crossed ... was very frustrated, I’m sure.

Me? I’ve gotten so I almost expect them ... computer problems, that is. I drag myself to the keyboard some mornings ... crank up the machine ... look through the fog in the general direction of the screen ... and if what I see appears to be what I should be seeing ... I can’t help wondering ... WHAT’S WRONG?

-S&G-

SPEAKING of LOREE ... she has been good about responding to S&G ... good medicine for me ... and sometimes, because of my own computer problems ... or my own shortcomings ... I neglect to respond to her e-mails.

I found a printout of one of her e-mails the other day ... her response to a poem I had posted here ... something about wearing two or three hats at a time (something I hardly ever do any more, by the way).

Loree ... thank you very much ... had this response: "Talk about women and their unique collections ... men seem to be drawn to hats.

"The entire top shelf of the coat closet is still loaded with Leonard’s collection. Most of them carry a message on one topic or another ... many fit for only certain occasions and certain people, though.

"Many were gifts, but he liked buying another one, if one caught his eye. He did only wear ONE at a time (not two or three, as your poem suggests!), so he didn’t freak me out THAT way."

-S&G-

TODAY’S POEM: This is one ... I think ... which hasn’t been shared online before. Oh, but it has been shared ... with those who have read my first collection, Chance of Rain, a small assortment of poems all about rain ... or its absence ... published by Finishing Line Press.


I hope you enjoy the poem ... though you may already be familiar with summer rain that’s "so soft, gentle, healing" ... or I hope that if you aren’t, you may soon become so.

The poem:

THE HEALING RAIN

Sometimes I hear the rain
falling like it did on summer
afternoons when I was a child
slowly turning the pages
of old magazines, knowing
every turn, but discovering
something new at each loop
of the story, while the rain
lulled me and the words took me
to places I could only dream
of going. And here I am, still
savoring that music as words
patter across my mind like
heady summer rain, its sound
so soft, gentle, healing.

-S&G-

COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like.

Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to rbrimm@peoplepc.com... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)

-S&G-

UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!

-S&G-
© 2009

No comments: