Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summertime Blues



I REALLY TRY not to repeat myself ... too much.
But I have to admit that I’ve finally reached the age ... and we’re not saying what that number is, precisely ... when it’s difficult to remember ... that’s right, REMEMBER ... just what I’ve said ... or where I’ve said something before.

One thing is sure, though: Summer has arrived in Ohio.
The thermometer is showing 85 degrees here on a Friday evening as I sit before the sizzling keyboard to start writing. Who knows? It may be even hotter OUTSIDE.
I know ... I KNOW ... there is such a thing as air-conditioning ... but that’s another story, for another time, OK?

-S&G-
What I’m leading up to ... in case you haven’t figured that out yet ... is today’s poem (you may have noticed the title ABOVE ... and ... you’ll find the poem BELOW, WAY BELOW)
-S&G-
MEANWHILE, the word from Kansas is that it’s hot there, too ... and stormy.

LOREE (Kansas) writes:
"The heat is on, or someone turned the heat up, or ... it is just downright HOT!
"After over a week of storms that plagued my dog and subsequently drove me NUTS as I dealt with her paranoia, we’ve had a couple of days off from thunder, lightning, rain, and the ping, ping of hail."
-S&G-
"Night before last was the worst storm of the rash we’ve had lately. Why? Because it wasn’t just the dog that was scared. Picture three adults sitting around my kitchen table, each trying to act braver than the next one.
"Conversation went something like this:
"Wouldja look at the size of those raindrops?" (This as they went SPLAT! On the deck floor timbers.
"Well, at least it’s coming straight down!"
"I think it’s hailing!"
"No way!"
"Yes it is!" in an indignant tone that suggested I couldn’t possibly be wrong. Then, triumphantly, "Hear those pings off the new shed roof?"
"What’s that roar?"
"What roar? I don’t hear anything!"
I jumped up, opened the door behind the neighbor lady, and said, "THAT Roar!" No longer impeded by the door, the sound was easily detected.
"It was constant, never let up at all, but, fortunately, didn’t lead to anything noisier, either.
"The storm built up in a matter of a very short period of time, about eight miles west of us, then developed into area coverage ... then set up housekeeping in a small radius ... and SAT there for almost three hours."
-S&G-
"My police scanner was full of reports, non-stop, of funnel clouds west of my house, then south, then back west. All in all, a scary evening ... and I doubt that anyone could serve up entertainment for a whole evening that would be any more frightening than what we endured here."
-S&G-
LOREE CONCLUDES: "If only I could see to write, I could have made some truly interesting poem fragments as the stormy evening progressed ... including something about the fact that I lost EVERY game of cards. I have to say, though, that my heart just wasn’t in cards that evening ... "
-S&G-
HEY, LOREE, if I sounded like I was complaining about the heat before, I think I’ve changed my mind now ... I can take the heat ... but minus the sound effects of a serious storm, thank you very much.
-S&G-

In a later e-mail, Loree shared a link to her new page online:

Give it a try ... I think you’ll enjoy your visit.
 
-S&G-

TODAY’S POEM ... As promised, here it comes. I know, some of you may have it memorized by now (I do have a tendency to repeat this one when the eggs start frying on the sidewalk ... and my handkerchief wilts) ... but I hope you don’t mind seeing it just one more time.

It so captures the sudden onset of summer in Ohio ... and my present feelings as I work feverishly to pull another installment of S&G together.
This one was originally published in Capper’s:
SUMMERTIME BLUES

I've got those
low-down,
good for nothin'
summertime blues.
My handkerchief
has wilted,
my shorts have
turned to glue,
my socks have
already melted
and run down
into my shoes.
Oh, I've got 'em bad,
as bad as they can be,
those prickly-pested,
heat infested,
good for nothin'
summertime blues.

-S&G-
COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like.
Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to

rbrimm@peoplepc.com
... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)

-S&G-
UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!
-S&G-
© 2009

No comments: