Saturday, June 13, 2009

What'll You Have?




WARNING ... It’s approaching the witching hour for pulling S&G together again ... and I have nothing to say.


That means ... of course ... that I’m likely to go on and on ... and on.


Which may not be hazardous to your health, but could make your ears ring. If they do ... ring, that is ... don’t answer. It’s probably me ... and you don’t want that, do you?


-S&G-


PROFESSOR SQUIGGLEE is giving me one of those looks. He seems to be doing that a lot lately.


I know what this one means, though ... "Nothing to say, but talking on and on ... you ought to be in politics."


He knows I can’t do that, though. Squiggles and Politics just don’t mix. I can’t have both, so I’ll just stick to Squiggles ... with maybe a few suppressed Giggles along the way.


-S&G-


UH-OH! I just noticed that this is Saturday the Thirteenth ... and we know what that means, right?


Oh, no ... it’s FRIDAY the Thirteenth that we have to watch out for.


Sorry about that.


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE: "I can’t believe how HUGE the vehicles are out there these days. I mean, REALLY HUGE. It’s gotten so I hardly ever look into my rear-view mirror when I’m stopped at a red light. There’s always this HUGE vehicle ... right on my rear bumper ... staring DOWN at me. It’s almost like I’d heard someone call my name ... stood up ... turned around ... and there I am, facing directly into someone’s knees." - PROFESSOR SQUIGGLEE


-S&G-


RECEIVED AN SOS from HELEN (Florida) ... she’d tried to take a look at CHOSEN WORDS ... and, I presume, SQUIGGLES ... but hadn’t been able to reach them.


Well! We can’t leave anyone stranded like that ... Professor Squigglee and I immediately extended an electronic lifeline to Helen. Happy ending (we hope).


Anybody else? Let’s have ... Oh, I guess a show of hands won’t work ... If you can’t reach S&G, you obviously won’t be reading this now ... but if you are reading it now, you don’t need help ... or do you?


Maybe ... if you’re reading S&G ... you REALLY need help.


Or am I just totally confused ... or (horrors) just rambling on and on?


-S&G-


"GOOD MORNING" ... began a recent e-mail from LOREE (Kansas) ... "Just to show you how you rate around here, I overslept this morning, but the first thought that popped into my head (now that there is more and more space there) ... was this annoying voice saying, ‘S&G, S&G’ ... over and over.


"At first ... while rubbing the last remnants of sleep from my eyes ... I thought ‘Stop and Go, Stop and Go.’ But I didn’t have to be an Einstein to realize that S&G could not possibly mean ‘Stop and Go’ in my case ... since I rarely drive any more.


"On the other hand ... since my day starts with turning the computer on, letting it happily hum, bump and grind, as it gets revved up for one more day, I saw this desktop icon ... almost winking at me, with an aura of light around it, like it was/is so special ...


"I grabbed my magnifying glass, zeroed in on it ... Aha! There it was beckoning to me ... S&G in oversized letters (thanks to my ‘Big Shot’ program for enlarging text and anything else on the computer!)"


Oh ... and (blush-blush) she liked the poem.


-S&G-


"I BELIEVE ... two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different." - courtesy of RUTH (Florida/Ohio)


-S&G-


"FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! ... except that one where you’re naked in church." - courtesy of WALT (Ohio)


-S&G-


"THE IRONY of life is that, by the time you’re old enough to know your way around, you’re not going anywhere." - courtesy of TIL (Illinois)


-S&G-


"THOUGHT FOR THE DAY ... If there’s no chocolate in Heaven, I’m not going." - courtesy of HELEN (Florida)


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM ... As many of you know, I write about ordinary subjects ... but try to view them "with new eyes" ... as though seeing them for the first time ... in a new way ... to impart some bit of information ... a thought, perhaps ... not previously associated with the subject.


I was thinking about that process, probably, when I wrote today’s poem, a long, long time ago:


WHAT’LL YOU HAVE?

Poems, lady?
What would you like?
I have these
written in the nights
of my despair,
a few over there
when I felt better.
A love poem?
Not much in demand
these days, but I may
be able to find one
somewhere on the shelf.
No picks among these?
I have more written,
on the back racks,
aging a bit
before they travel,
and, of course,
stacks and stacks
teetering recklessly
in the backroom
of my mind.
(originally published in ByLine Magazine)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like.
Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to ...




and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-

UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!

-S&G-

© 2009

No comments: