Saturday, October 3, 2009

At the Doctor's Office





OCTOBER? Already? How can that be?


I was just beginning to enjoy the relatively mild summer we had ... in this neck of the woods, at least ... and now I’m looking for my gloves ... again.


You haven’t seen them, have you? How about my mittens? I could use my mittens, if I can’t find my gloves. Of course, mittens impede my guitar playing, so I would really prefer finding my gloves.


-S&G-


WINTER IS ON THE WAY ... and don’t say I didn’t give you adequate warning.


Word from LINDA (Illinois) is that it might be ... well, a little more than we expect from winter ... or want.


“Have you ever heard about persimmon seeds predicting the oncoming winter weather?” she asks.


Well, no ... don’t believe I have. I’ve heard about the forecasts of those fur-coated worms we sometimes see dashing here and there ... but persimmons?


Bob ... Linda informs me ... and that’s her Bob, not me ... collected four small persimmons and opened the seed in all four (not an easy task, she points out). And ... listen carefully to this: Three of the seeds say lots of snow coming ... the fourth undetermined.


“Not saying how accurate the information is,” Linda says, “but you might want to make sure you have snow boots.”


-S&G-


And GLOVES, Linda ... MITTENS at the very least!


-S&G-


A FEW DAYS AGO ... everything in S&G Land seems to have happened a few days ago ... but that makes it easier to keep up on events, right? 


Well, a few days ago Phyllis and I were just preparing for our afternoon walk ... when the doorbell rang ... and we found a mysterious package outside the front door.


My first reaction, as I indicated to someone I could really trust, was that I must have inadvertently ordered something online while attempting to surf the web ... or was it the net? ... and keep my balance at the same time.


Further investigation proved that this was not the case.


It was a birthday present ... a little after the fact, but always a welcome event (I try to keep the party going all year, but that doesn’t always work). And it was something I don’t already have. 


What was it? 


Well, it was a gizmo ... an electronic gizmo ... a headset - you know, an earpiece and a microphone ... AND some software ... all designed so I can TURN TALK INTO TEXT on my computer.


I haven’t tried it yet, but I will soon ... and I will then be able to create documents and e-mail - entirely by voice ... AND search the Internet with EASE.


But the best part is that it’s “faster and more accurate than typing.”


Oh, I can uSe thet ... becauze, as yew may hav notiCed, my tuping somtimz isnt all its cricked up to bee. Pleeze stay tooned.


-S&G- 


SOME ANXIOUS days, recently ... when there were no e-mails from LOREE (Kansas). As regular visitors to S&G may have noted, she has become a regular herself ... sharing some of her adventures ... observations ... and some laughs along the way.


Turns out she was coping with a serious medical problem ... had, in fact had a bit of surgery ... serious stuff.


But she’s on the mend now, back to doing chores around the place ... on a slightly reduced level, mind you, but getting around.


And ... naturally ... writing poetry again. She has shared some of her writings with us along the way ... and here’s another (just click on the link, and it should take you there):


http://www.poetrybyloree.com/421.html




-S&G-


AND, FINALLY ... just by coincidence, I assure you, I was browsing some old printouts of SQUIGGLES & GIGGLES ... all the way back to the Middle Ages, approximately ... back when S&G was a weekly e-mailed “newsletter” (before AOL suddenly put a stop to it) ... and I ran across a poem that sorta goes with Loree’s.


Today’s poem was written while I was sitting on the end of an examining table (they are tables, aren’t they?) ... waiting for the doctor to come in and check on me ... later submitted to a publication called Potpourri ... accepted by them ... and, later, nominated by them for Pushcart Prize honors. (I didn’t win, by the way, but just being nominated was LIKE winning, to me).


I hope you don’t mind my sharing “At the Doctor’s Office” again:


AT THE DOCTOR’S OFFICE


Random needles of rain
start darting diagonally
like the silent scratchings
of cat claws on the window
where the traffic is zooming
and sizzling past, hauling
away the remains of Thursday,
blurring beyond the sycamore,
its mottled grey-green trunk
whispering of a deep-forest
stream while seeming utterly
misplaced here where concrete
suffers the presence of so few
trees, where my strongest
efforts at contiguous thought
produce only fragments too tiny
to mend, unleavened images,
lacking all savor of meaning,
where I perch, dry-mouthed
and nervous, my legs dangling
from the end of this table,
and wait, as I always do,
for a door to open softly,
carefully, into this silence,
this sterile, stifling silence.


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/





Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-
© 2009  

No comments: