Saturday, October 17, 2009

Shovel? Maybe Later




Sometimes the most casual of comments can set off a new chain of events ... and a whole new world presents itself. 


For example:


We had just finished watching our watercolor teacher, Diane, transform an ordinary green pepper into a work of art ... with colors brushed skillfully onto watercolor paper, of course.


I had sat there watching, thinking that now I had grasped the secret ... that I could do the same on my own paper. But I really hadn’t ... and couldn’t.


What I had produced was a thumbnail watercolor sketch ... on a small sketch pad ... of a green pepper, only remotely resembling what I’d seen Diane do.


And now we were returning to our respective places, to see what we could really do with what we had just learned.


I noticed that Sylvia, a classmate, had taken a quick look at what I’d just done.


“I really hate to waste anything,” I said ... indicating the colors on the mixing area of my watercolor palette ... mixtures left over from previous adventures ... and the teeny-tiny green pepper painting I’d just turned out.


I suppose it would be considered doodling ... but I often try these tiny versions of the day’s lesson ... or maybe something entirely different from what we’re focusing on at the time. It serves to keep my alleged mind occupied ... and it’s good practice, I think. 


Maybe, just maybe, I tell myself, one of my doodles will someday go on to become a full-fledged painting.


“You should look up ACEO,” Sylvia said, indicating that it was an interesting online site ... one that she had visited herself.
  
Obedient classmate that I am, I wrote the letters ACEO on a scrap of paper, and when I got home ... before I’d forgotten what that mysterious four-letter word was supposed to mean to me ... I looked it up.


A whole new world opened to me.


ACEO stands for “Art Cards, Editions and Originals.” And those cards ... 3.5 inches by 2.5 inches ... I’m told, are the size of trading cards. In fact, it appears that they serve as trading cards ... with a difference.


The difference is that they contain art ... either original works, or prints of the artist’s original ... and in almost any medium: Watercolor, oils, acrylics, colored pencils, pastels ... pen and ink, sketching, collage ... you name it ... each one a collector’s item.


Aha! A solution, at last, to my growing problem of watercolor sketches too small to go out into the world on their own ... and too valued (by me) to be relegated to the shredder.


In no time at all I was rummaging through one of the boxes where I keep these “treasures” I’ve made ... usually during a pause some place along the trail of my daily walk. I actually found one that was the right size ... and I could bear to share with someone.


I’m still learning to share, so that first one ... a wooded scene with sunlight picking its way through ... went to Phyllis.


The others? I could see a huge industry developing in Brimm originals ... these little rascals being traded, first in the neighborhood ... among friends and relatives ... eventually all over the place ... maybe even as far away as Texas and California!


Why, I could make a fortune!


Then reality set in. I remembered the old law of supply and demand ... and I don’t recall it having been repealed. At the moment I’m sure the supply ... even with just this ONE in circulation (and I’m not sure it’s going to circulate) ... far exceeds the demand.


Still, I may pass off a few on unsuspecting individuals ... for birthdays and anniversaries and such ... or for no reason at all. I’ll get rid of that mountain of tiny watercolors yet ... and without doing the (gulp) unthinkable: throwing them away.


And I’m giving you fair warning. If one should come your way ... and be offered to you, take it. If it appears that something is wanted in return, give it careful thought, but make the trade, if it’s within your means ... for someday these little art trading cards ... especially these Brimm originals ... are going to be quite valuable ... or my name isn’t Bob Brimmbrandt.


-S&G-


LOREE (Kansas) got some chuckles out of the adventures of The Little Red Car last week.

“My black pickup, sitting forlornly beneath its very own carport, is so envious of The Little Red Car,” she says. “Blackie thinks I don’t love it any more, as it sits for months at a time, never getting a view of anything except the yellow wall of the shop building in front of it! I suspect that by now it HATES yellow! Even the lattice work, on either side of the back fenders ... covered with beautiful morning glories of assorted colors, can’t seem to cheer it up.


“I do try and remembrer to start it (leave it in park, of course!) now and then, just to see if it will even do that.”


(There are times, I’m sure, Loree, that Little Red is envious of Blackie ... especially when Little Red gets back from another exciting outing of playing bumper tag with the BIG GUYS)


-S&G-


LOREE ALSO shared the following link to her newest page:


http://www.poetrybyloree.com/423.html


-S&G-     


TODAY’S POEM: I do hope you don’t mind my repeating myself ... it’s my age, you know ... that rhymes with snow ... and I’ve been thinking of snow recently ... mainly because we seem to have gone from fairly reasonable summer temperatures (though I did find occasion to complain about the heat) ... to really cold temperatures (for this time in October).


My thoughts about snow:


Snow is never funny ... really. It can be beautiful, particularly in the aftermath, but it can be devastating, too.


But funny? I don’t think so.


There was one occasion, though, when I thought the situation ... particularly my reaction to it ... might just bring a smile for the reader who has had the same experience ... and the same reaction I had ... to one snowstorm in particular.


Meanwhile, I’ve just about decided to hibernate this winter. Let the snow come and go (which it will, eventually). And next spring? I’ll probably crawl out, grumpy as a bear.




But for now, the poem:




SHOVEL? MAYBE LATER


From door to street
Isn’t all that far,
But with a sleet-
And snow-bound car
Stuck in the drive,
I might just as well
Take another five
And snooze a spell.
(originally published in Mature Living)




-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


Oh, and if you’d like to see what’s up with my other ... DAILY blog ... here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


Afterthoughts ... 


SATURDAY - Mama from France, I thank you for those kind words about my blog ... and the invitation to take a look at ATC SWAP (I did, thank you very much, and I'm quite impressed). Still ... I'm not sure I'm quite ready to make the leap just now. I need time to think it over ... and paint more watercolors of the right size. Maybe then ... 





WEDNESDAY - This just in: A usually reliable source informs me that my poem, "Naming the Fish," is going to be read on "Conrad's Corner," by Conrad Balliet himself, on WYSO radio ... shortly before 8 p.m. this Friday. Hope you can give a listen ... if not at the time it airs, perhaps later in their archives. Let me know, please, if you make contact ... 

© 2009 
  

1 comment:

mama said...

Hi! I like it !
I am french and i like your blog. I invit you to my ATC SWAP here :
http://sirpriz.com/cadeau-gratuit-swap-497.html
I hope you will be with us!
Have a nice day
Mama from France