Saturday, November 20, 2010

Interlude



PROFESSOR SQUIGGLEE commented that a strange thing had happened this week ... he hadn’t heard anybody snapping their fingers while waving a hand in the air ... trying to get his attention ... ready with an answer to his next question.


I had noticed that, too. Usually there is at least one audible response to the most recent installment of “Squiggles.”


But this week? Nothing.


-S&G-


I WAS PUZZLED at first. Then Phyllis and I took a stroll through one of the shopping malls in this area.


Aha!


There was Santa having his picture taken with a youngster on each knee ... Christmas lights were flashing up and down the corridors ... crowds were surging around us like we were standing still ... cash registers were singing a merry tune.


Everybody ... and that includes the “Squiggles” regulars, I’m sure ... must be out doing their Christmas shopping.


-S&G-


DID I MISS Thanksgiving? 


Must’ve ... but I don’t have heartburn ... nor that sleepy feeling which comes from stuffing myself with all kinds of Thanksgiving goodies ... and I don’t remember loads of relatives arriving for the BIG MEAL.


WHOOPS! I just glanced at the calendar ... and, unless I looked at it wrong, NEXT Thursday is Thanksgiving ... and it’s the day after that ... right? ... when the Christmas stampede officially begins. Right?


-S&G-


I’VE SAID IT before ... and I may say it again ... in fact, I will: One of the hazards of looking back is that you tend to bump into things.


Oh, well ... here’s something from way back in 2004 ... when “Squiggles” was an e-mailed weekly letter with 60 readers in 18 states:


“I’VE SAID IT BEFORE, and I’ll say it again: One day you’ve sitting on top of the world; the next day it’s sitting on top of you.


“Case in point: The other day I ran out of the house without a second to spare ... aren’t we all like that? ... intending to hop into the car and drive off carefully, not only observing the speed limit, but obeying it ... making complete ... no gliding through ... stops at STOP signs ... signaling my intentions before each turn ... you know, doing my usual job of impeding traffic.


“Whoa, Nellie! I said, when I rounded the corner. There sat The Little Red Car, all scrunched down and whimpering because it had a flat tire. Flatter’n a pancake, Grandpa would have said.


“I can take a hint. I decided not to go.”


-S&G- 


NOW, if you’ll excuse me ... I need to get out there and do my own Christmas shopping ... well ... maybe tomorrow ... or next week ... mmm ... maybe.


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM: It likely began life somewhat larger than this version I'm sharing with you.


That's not unusual. When a poem ... or what may become a poem ... begins to present itself to me, I often let the words just go trickling across the page.




Sometimes that works. Sometimes not.


In between that kind of beginning, and publication, there is a lot of revision. That usually means tightening.


Fewer words. More left to the imagination of the reader.


Does this one work? Well, the editor thought it did ... but I still tend to think the reader has the final say on that.


If you've ever watched the sunshine come crawling (swarming?) through a window, the poem may work for you as it did for me. If not, well, ... it may still be food for thought:


INTERLUDE


See how the sun
comes crawling
through the window,
like hungry bees
on a single sprig
of goldenrod.
(originally published in Midwest Poetry Review)


-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: