Saturday, December 4, 2010

Goodbye, Old Hat





Some of you may remember last week ... and the sudden disappearance of Professor Squigglee. At least he did leave a note, “Gone Shopping” ... but now I’m beginning to wonder if that was really his handwriting.


Usually what he has written is such a scrawl that even he has trouble figuring out what it says.


This was so clear ... so easy to read ... I can’t help wondering.


Well, I went shopping, too. That’s not like me at all. Oh, I do ... on occasion, like a really rainy day, or during a horrible snowstorm ... just as a last resort, seek shelter in a nearby mall. 


And I may even do some “window shopping” there, but I usually manage to stay above the fray, for I’m not really a serious shopper, you see. I hate being bumped by shopping carts ... I don’t like being shoved aside when I’m trying to get down an aisle ... I don’t even like having someone slip past me as I’m trying to enter, and then add insult to injury by letting the door slam in my face.


But this sudden disappearance of Professor Squigglee was something else.


I was sure I would encounter him in one of the checkout lines ... or see him in the distance ... perhaps stuffing newly-purchased merchandise into the trunk of his car.


Nothing.


-S&G-


MEANWHILE ... this just in ... thanks to WALT (Ohio), via e-mail:


Two elderly ladies had been friends for many decades. Over the years they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards. 


One day they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, “Now don't get mad at me ... I know we've been friends for a long time ... but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is.” 


Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally she said, “How soon do you need to know?”


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM - I don’t even have a picture of it (the hat that’s mentioned in today’s poem, that is). The original had never, to the best of my knowledge, sat for a portrait ... nor even had its photo snapped by someone mistaking its wearer for a celebrity.




So I had to resort to a stunt double to illustrate the poem about its plight ... and (sniffle-sniffle) mine.


The double, of course, is a younger version of the vanished one, but it's gradually becoming ... well, quite comfortable, like an old pair of shoes.




But now, the poem:




GOODBYE, OLD HAT




"My old brown hat is gone!"
I cried.
"When did you have it on?"
she sighed.
"This year, or last.
Time goes so fast."
"The one rumpled, crumpled,
and torn?"
"Yes, yes! Tattered, spattered,
forlorn.
Twenty years my best buddy ...
all that.
My oldest, dearest friend,
my hat.
Now it's gone, left no trace.
I'm wild ..."
"I'm sure it's, uh ... someplace,"
she smiled.
And, looking me straight in
the eye:
"But it was time to say
goodbye."


(originally published in Capper's)


-S&G-


See you next week? M-m-m-m-m ... that all depends.


-S&G-


MEANWHILE ... COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.


-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: