Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lost in Thought






FIRST, SOME HOT NEWS ... and, like some of the “hot items” offered by some TV “newscasts” ... it’s not really news, but it is HOT in Ohio.


So here I sit with a tall drink at my elbow ... a glass of diet soda, mind you, for, as the designated driver, I may be called on at any moment to make an emergency run to Wal-mart, or K-mart ... or one of those other marts where everybody else in the universe seems to head when they sense that I’m headed there, too.


I don’t know (sip) how those parking lots can appear so empty (sip-sip), when I’m just driving by and (sip-sip-sip) then fill up so quickly just as I decide to whip in, too.


But that’s a topic for another ... perhaps cooler ... day.


-S&G-


AS SOME OF YOU may know ... if you’ve read your travel brochures carefully ... Brimm Manor is not totally air-conditioned.
Even in the winter that’s true, too. Thank goodness for that. 


Oh, we have a couple of those window units that collect hot air and turn it into cool air (don’t ask me how ... but couldn’t we use something like that at political gatherings? - and don’t get me started on that, because I try to keep these “Squiggles” gatherings non-political, to cut down on the fights in the parking lot, if nothing else).


But this room? This place were I’m perched on a squeaky chair in front of an old, wood-burning computer? No air-conditioning here ... except for a little breeze being bestowed by a tiny fan.


Which reminds me ... in weather like this it’s good to know that ... even if I don’t have dozens of followers, I have at least one little fan.


-S&G-


AS SOME OF YOU may also know, LOREE (Kansas) moved into town recently. As some of you town folk may know, too, that can bring unexpected encounters ... guess it’s the closeness, maybe the “coziness.”


Well, Loree was mowing recently, and approached a rather hefty stand of weeds that were sort of in no-man’s land. No problem. She started mowing them, too.


It was then that her next-door neighbor, a lady she hadn’t actually met yet, came galloping out (my word for it) to chew Loree out for “intruding” ... and I gather that her language was far from polite.


Loree was a bit taken aback by the verbal attack, but didn’t retaliate ... didn’t even let her angry neighbor in on a little secret: Loree is retired from the SHERIFF’S Department.


Oh, and later ... Loree’s brother-in-law brought by a couple of construction stakes which now mark the boundary ... beyond which Loree intends not to “intrude” again. 


-S&G-


TODAY’S QUOTE (courtesy of WALT, Ohio): “Laughter is an instant vacation.” - Milton Berle


-S&G-


AND THIS (courtesy of HELEN, Florida): “How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door you’re on.”


-S&G-


AND I DON’T KNOW ... who sent this one in: “I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.”


-S&G-


SOME MUSINGS by, let’s say, a mature gentleman (not me, by the way) ... sent along by PATRICIA (Ohio) ... included the following:


“The world is getting too complex for me. 


“They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden ‘Paper or Plastic?’ every time I check out, just knocks me for a loop. 


“I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.


“Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, ‘Paper or Plastic?’ I just say, ‘Doesn’t matter to me. I’m bi-sacksual’.” 


-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM: I sometimes like to take a figurative statement and pursue it as though it were literally true ...




I remember a teacher who pointed out the mental images brought up by "catching a bus," for example, if taken as literally true ... likewise with "taking the plunge," "beating the bushes," etc.




In this case, I considered "lost in thought."




Literal pursuit of that concept takes us rushing down the winding path toward several improbable possibilities, all the way to the somewhat illogical conclusion. Or is it?




The poem:






LOST IN THOUGHT




If I were to become
lost in thought,
would I wander forever?
Would anybody notice
that I hadn't come
home for supper?
Would search parties
form sagging lines, go out
into the darkness,
beating the bushes
and calling my name?
Would I be
on the six o'clock news?
Would I ever
be myself again,
or would I return
as someone completely
different, a person
I have never met?
(originally published in ByLine)




-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: