Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summertime Blues









NOT MUCH going on around here these days. Too hot. Almost too hot for Phyllis and me to take our traditional daily shade hikes ... that is, we go out where there are some trees, then walk from shade to shade, ignoring the paved paths, and taking care not to pause too long in the sunny spots.


Oh, I did go out to do some watercolors with a small group of acquaintances a few days ago. Hot? It was horribly hot!


I ignored those people who were out frying eggs on the sidewalks as I drove past, arrived safely at the park, struggled to the nearest shade, staked my claim on a bench, and spent an enjoyable interlude there doing a small painting.


I might still be there, but I got thirsty ... and I’m afraid of the dark. 


-S&G-




COMES WORD from DEE (Illinois) ... and it includes a little story that I can identify with ... perhaps you can, too, if you’ve ever lost anything (as usual, names have been obscured to protect the innocent).


It seems that a gentleman of Dee’s acquaintance was mowing his yard and when he went around a cypress tree a branch hit him, and his glasses got knocked off.


No problem, really. There’s Plan B, right? All he has to do is go into the house to get his OLD glasses, since he can’t see without his good ones (I never throw anything away, either). 


Thus newly-equipped with the old glasses, this gentleman and a very close lady friend go out to look for the newer glasses. 


Nothing.


A good neighbor happens by and joins the search.


Nothing. 


But then ... aha! It occurs to the owner of the glasses that, since all that searching has not turned up a trace of them ... and, knowing that they surely hadn’t gone into orbit ... perhaps they’re in the TREE! 


He gets a rake ... and, a few careful strokes later ... there they are ... stuck on a branch. And what a happy reunion that must have been!  


-S&G-


THIS FROM WALT (Ohio):


A little boy opened the family Bible. He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly something fell out of the Bible. 


He picked up the object and looked at it.  What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed  between the pages.


"Mama, look what I found," the boy called out.


"What have you got there, dear?"


With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered, "I think it’s Adam’s UNDERWEAR!"


-S&G- 


BOOK NOOK: As I mentioned recently ... well, fairly recently ... I’m working my way through Earth Poems - Poems from Around the World to Honor the Earth, edited by Ivo Mosley. And now, in my spare time, I’ve taken up Slipping Out of Bloom, poems by Julie L. Moore.


And what’s on your reading table ... or, if that’s too old-fashioned, on your electronic “book” gizmo?


-S&G-


SPEAKING OF spare time ... I’ve recently been using a bit of it to construct a new Home Page. I still have a long way to go with it, but eventually it will contain some sample poems, some sound (I hope), and some pictures ... photos, watercolors, maybe even a drawing or two.


If you’d like to pay an early visit, before the tour buses start pulling in and the tourists start pouring out, here’s a link:


http://sites.google.com/site/robertlbrimm/




-S&G-


TODAY’S POEM ... I sometimes try to say a little something about the poem, by way of introduction ... and usually end up saying a little to much, I’m afraid.


Today, because of the heat, I suppose, I am definitely going to be B-R-I-E-F. Here’s the poem:




SUMMERTIME BLUES


I've got those
low-down,
good for nothin'
summertime blues.

My handkerchief
has wilted,
my shorts have
turned to glue,
my socks have
already melted
and run down
into my shoes.

Oh, I've got 'em bad,
as bad as they can be,
those prickly-pested,
heat infested
good for nothin'
summertime blues.


(originally published in Capper's)

-S&G-


COMMENT? Feel free ... below, if you like. 


Or if you prefer e-mail, that's fine, too ... especially for more detailed observations, to


 rbrimm@peoplepc.com


... and it helps if you put "Squiggles" or "S&G" ... something like that ... in the subject line (just remember, no religion or politics ... please!)


-S&G-


If you’d like to see what’s up with my other, DAILY blog (no, this is not my “Home Page”),  here’s a link to it:


http://rbrimm.blogspot.com/


Thanks for paying a visit.




-S&G-


UNTIL NEXT TIME ... take care ... see ya!


-S&G-


©  2010

No comments: